Judge not that ye be not judged...

I find this scripture is frequently misused these days. Many that quote it seem to do so in an attempt to neutralize any negative thought, perception, or comment one might have regarding a behavior. The problem with that, of course, is that the Bible makes it quite plain that certain behaviors are considered inappropriate and to be avoided. So, if you see a person engaging in a behavior that the Bible describes as inappropriate, you obviously can only come to that conclusion by using some ‘judgment’. Judgment is not necessarily condemnation. Just because I notice someone engaging in inappropriate behaviors does not mean I have sentenced them to hell. It just means that I have noticed that what is being done is frowned upon biblically. God is the Judge.

On another level, I see this scripture as very logical. If, indeed, you ‘judge’ someone negatively, expect them to do the same to you. If you dislike someone and they know it, expect them to dislike you. If you are loving and kind to people, most of those people are going to love you in return. It’s sort of a basic principle. Often times you get back what you give out. As was mentioned in a previous post, though, this is not always the case. Those that learn to love and forgive their enemies, for instance, can neutralize this process of reciprocity.

There is one more level. God’s level. There is a scripture that says that unless you forgive others, God will not forgive you. It’s this judgment from God that I, personally, hope to avoid. Thankfully, I see so many flaws in myself that I don’t see how I could possibly condemn someone else.

No comments:

Was Jesus GOD?

  Here is what scripture says:   1Co 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord...