Prayer…

I once heard a joke of sorts….that went something like this:

A Jewish man goes into the synagogue and prays. "O Lord, you know the mess I'm in, please let me win the lottery."

The next week, he's back again, and this time he's complaining. "O Lord, didn't you hear my prayer last week? I'll lose everything I hold dear unless I win the lottery."

The third week, he comes back to the synagogue, and this time he's desperate. "O Lord, this is the third time I've prayed to you to let me win the lottery! I ask and I plead and still you don't help me!"

Suddenly a booming voice sounds from heaven. "Benny, Benny, be reasonable. Meet me half way. Buy a lottery ticket!"

Which brings up the question…when you are praying…are you meeting God half way? If you are obese and pray that God will help you lose weight and yet don’t diet or exercise, what are you expecting? If you are unemployed and pray that God will open a door for you to gain employment…and yet put little effort into seeking work, what are you expecting? If your business is not doing well, and you pray that God will prosper you, but do nothing to address the deficiencies of the business, what are you expecting? That old saying ‘God helps those who help themselves’ rings a bit true. The Word of God paints a pretty clear picture about the benefits of hard work, of self discipline. It also paints a pretty clear picture of the pitfalls of laziness. Read the book of Proverbs closely and you will find many references. Does that mean, then, that whatever success you do achieve is purely by your own efforts? My Christian Interpretation would be that I don’t think so. God is still the great provider, but He also won’t be mocked…and a man truly does reap what he sows (excepting in regard to salvation itself).

No comments:

Was Jesus GOD?

  Here is what scripture says:   1Co 8:6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord...